Shoreditch and Spitalfields Illustrated Map Print
Sold By: Of Cabbages & Kings
Categories: Home & Design
Subcategories: Posters & Prints
This is an original illustrated map of Shoreditch and Spitalfields, two historic neighbourhoods in the east end of London, UK, inspired by the antique-style English County maps designed by the 19th century artist and engraver Thomas Moule.
All elements of the design, including the map, border and decoration have been entirely hand-drawn and digitally coloured by the artist.
The map features design elements that reference the area's long history and rich culture:
- The illustration at the bottom left depicts Nicholas Hawksmoor's famous Christ Church Spitalfields (completed 1729) on Commercial Street, a striking piece of geometric architecture and a major landmark in the area. At the top right is an illustration of St. Leonard's Church on Shoreditch High Street (designed by Charles Dance and completed around 1740).
- The coats of arms at the left of the image represent each neighborhood: the red shield above depicting two conjoined lions is that adopted by the old Metropolitan Borough of Shoreditch (absorbed into the modern London Borough of Hackney in 1965), a symbol that derives from the arms of John de Northampton, Lord Mayor of London from 1381-1382 and Lord of the Manor of Shoreditch; the purple shield below depicts the Huguenot Cross, a symbol of the many French refugees who settled in and around Spitalfields in the 18th century and who brought with them their valuable silk weaving skills.
- The border decoration displays a motif inspired by interweaved strands of silk, and each corner contains an image that represents an historical aspect of the two neighbourhoods (clockwise from top left: a mask symbol to represent the 16th century Curtain Theatre which was situated in Shoreditch; weaver's tools to represent the Huguenot weavers; fruit to represent the Spitalfields Fruit and Vegetable Market; and a chair to represent the furniture-making industry for which Shoreditch was famous).
The map covers a broad area including Brick Lane and Shoreditch High Street in their entirety and also includes parts of Hoxton and Whitechapel. Major buildings, landmarks and pubs are pinpointed by labels. Locations and places featured on the map include: Aldgate East station, Allen Gardens, Bethnal Green Road, Bishop's Square, Bishopsgate, the Boundary Estate (Calvert Avenue, Arnold Circus, Boundary Street etc), Brick Lane, Broadgate Tower, Great Eastern Street, Hoxton Square, Liverpool Street Station, NIDO Spitalfields, Old Spitalfields Market, Old Street, Old Truman Brewery, Petticoat Lane market, Shoreditch High Street station and the Whitechapel Gallery.
• Unique digitally-rendered artwork
• High quality digital print on archival watercolour paper
• Dimensions: 300 x 400mm
• Signed in pencil by the artist, with stamp of authenticity on the rear
• Open edition
• Frame not included
Something wrong with this product?